Wednesday, July 29, 2009

About Laser Hair Removal?

I was planning to go for laser hair removal treatment for my black facial hair. I read a lot about the treatment but I am looking for feedback from people who have got it done in reality. I wanted to find out if there are any bad after effects on skin or did the hair grow back? What things should I check whne chosing a treatment center? How much did it cost you roughly? Has anyone taken the treatment at DermaCareUsa?



About Laser Hair Removal?

Hi, I have had laser before on my face as well. Unfortunately, I didnt work for me but I attribute this to the doctors lack of knowledge. I am actually trying another doctor later this month who has a better laser, and hopefully a better technique.



You should read about the lasers, there are different kinds for different skin and hair colors. I am pale with dark hair (considered the best candidate for laser treatment because the laser picks up the melanin in the hair follicle) - so the best laser for me is the alexandrite or diode. (although the Light Sheer did not work for me, but I going to a doctor who uses the Candela GentleLaser which is considered to be the best for my coloring). Again, all lasers and doctors are not equal. Do your research, it is quite expensive depending on where you go.



Stay away from discount clinics, this is your FACE and there is a chance of scarring.



My experience with my dermatologist was horrid. I had scabs on my face for 3-5 days, my face would swell like a balloon and I'd have to sit with ice packs for a few hours afterwards. I didn't realize that this wasn't the norm becaues I figured a doctor would know what they were doing, but no. I am going to a plastic surgeon this time around so we'll see.



I dont' know what you do with the hair now whether you wax, shave, use nair, bleach etc but make sure you do not wax or pluck or bleach the area a while before your appointment.



Bleach - this will lighten the hair, the laser picks up the color in the hair (darker the better).



Tweeze and or wax - rips the hair out by the root, you dont want to have the laser done then two days later you have a few hairs that you plucked a week or so back make their debut on your face.



It cost me about $375 per session at my dermatologist but the plastic surgeon I am seeing charges about $275 for the chin/face, etc. Almost all doctors offer a consultation - some may be free and others may be anywhere from $50-$200. Many will apply that toward your first session if you decide to go with them. Some doctors also offer a free consultation which personally works out better for me- I personally wouldn't want to feel obligated to pick someone because I knew I wouldn't get my money back from the consultation.



Understand that it's not a one shot deal either. Your hair goes through different growth stages. The hair that 's on your arm tomorrow may not be there next week, etc so you will definitely have to have more than one session - usually spaced about 4-12 weeks in between treatments so it is an investment.



In terms of pain, I mentioned that my doctor torched my face, from what I've heard from friends who've had it done as well as reading online - this shouldn't happen. The pain is compared to the snapping of a rubber band on your face. Take aspirin about an hour or two before the treatment and make sure you don't schedule before or during your period. Always after - you'll be less sensitive to the discomfort, even though it only takes about 15 mins. My suggestion is to see if the office has weekend hours or go late on a Friday - you will be red afterward, almost sunburned and may have light scabbing.



Good luck and make sure you read about the lasers, it could mean all the different in your treatment.



PS - It's not disgusting as what is posted above, having hair on your face is a huge embarrassment and may get worse/coarser with age. It is a relatively easy procedure that will g ive you a ton of confidence when you have one less thing to worry about. After all, this is your FACE we are talking about.



About Laser Hair Removal?

Don't it ruins your skin. Plus it's disgusting. Better safe than sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment